NORWICH, Conn. (AP) — Authorities in Connecticut say quick thinking by a library director saved an overdose victim at a library.
The Norwich Bulletin reports a person overdosed Monday at the Otis Library in Norwich. Library executive director Robert Farwell sprang into action and used naloxone to help save the person.
Farwell says the library got a supply of the opioid-overdose antidote last month. He says the overdose was “an unfortunate incident” but that he’s happy he got the necessary training.
There were 33 accidental overdose deaths in Norwich in 2017 compared to 126 deaths between 2012 and 2017. Police attribute the increase to the use of fentanyl.
Norwich Police Sgt. Nick Rankin says the department doesn’t carry naloxone because of training issues. Connecticut State Police carry the drug and are trained to use it.